Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why Me?....
Sometimes I just feel like the world is out to get me, don't get me wrong, I don't sit around and dwell on sad things in my life, but here is my newest whine.

New regulations going into affect in February 2010, may very well be the down fall of my small business. These new regulations will require me to lab test every material and item used in my products. Including buttons and fabric. I will also have to do labels with certain info. Labels are the least of my problems. The cost of this testing is ridiculous. I could test one type of fabric and button and only make items out of these, but personally I don't think the sales would be all that great.

I make my dresses and such as a hobby and to make enough money to make my children stuff without it costing me. So, after months of searching these new regulations (confusing) I've come to the realization that if they do not make some changes in these regulations, it wil cost me to produce childrens clothing. CRAZY!! I would have to charge like $30-40 a dress to cover the cost of the testing. This is nuts.

I think(THINK) that if I use certain undyed and tested chemical free fabric and don't use buttons, elastic, or anything else, and correctly label each item, I could still sell without alot of testing. How uncreative and boring.

I'm still looking into things and will keep you all updated, Thanks all. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that is terrible. I buy things from girls on MySpace & we were talking about that months ago. They need to do away with that...it's just ridiculous. I wish the best for everyone who does handmade things. This affects you so much. : /

    ReplyDelete